Anastasia Salter is an Associate Professor of Digital Media at the University of Central Florida. Her books include Toxic Geek Masculinity in Media (with Bridget Blodgett, Palgrave Macmillan 2017); Jane Jensen: Gabriel Knight, Adventure Games, Hidden Objects (Bloomsbury, 2017); What is Your Quest? From Adventure Games to Interactive Books (University of Iowa Press, 2014); and Flash: Building the Interactive Web (with John Murray, MIT Press, 2014). She was part of the editorial team for the Electronic Literature Collection Volume 3. She writes for ProfHacker, a blog on technology and pedagogy hosted by the Chronicle of Higher Education, and is a board member of the Electronic Literature Organization and co-chair of the Modern Language Association Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession. Her current work on digital culture focuses on platforms for marginalized voices.
- digital narrative
- electronic literature
- game studies
- social media
- digital humanities
- gender & marginalized voices in technology
- Salter, A., & Blodgett, B. (2017). Toxic Geek Masculinity in Media: Sexism, Trolling, and Identity Policing. Palgrave Macmillan.
Salter, A. (2017). Jane Jensen: Gabriel Knight, Adventure Games, Hidden Objects. Bloomsbury Academic Press.
Salter, A. (November 2014). What is Your Quest? From Adventure Games to Interactive Books. University of Iowa Press.
Salter, A. and Murray, J. (September 2014). Flash: Building the Interactive Web. Platform Studies Series, MIT Press.
- Boluk, S.; Flores, L.; Garbe, J.; Salter, A. (2016). The Electronic Literature Collection Volume 3. The Electronic Literature Organization. (Collection features over 100 works of electronic literature from around the world, editors listed alphabetically.)
- Forthcoming Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (Anticipated 2018). “‘Every Word You Just Said is Wrong’: Online Rage and Inclusivity in Disney Franchise Fandom.” In Selected Papers of Internet Research 17. Association of Internet Research. (Peer Reviewed)
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B.; Sullivan, A. (2018). “‘Just Because It’s Gay’: Transgressive Design in Queer Coming of Age Visual Novels.” In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games. ACM. <https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3235765>
- Salter, A.; Whitson, R.;
Helms, J. (2018). “Making comics as scholarship: A reflection on the process
behind DHQ 9.4.” Kairos: A Journal of
Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 23(1).
- Sullivan, A; Salter, A.; Smith, G. (2018). “Games Crafters Play.” In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games. ACM. (Peer reviewed) <https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3235765>
- Blodgett, B.; Salter, A. (2018). “Ghostbusters is For Boys: Understanding Geek Masculinity’s Role in the Alt-right.” Communication Culture & Critique, 11(1), 133-146.
- Salter, A.(2017). "Taking Over the World, Again? Examining Procedural Remakes of Adventure Games." Well Played Volume 6. No. 3. <http://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/well-played-vol-6-no-3/>
- Salter, A. (2017). “Code before Content? Brogrammer Culture in Games and Electronic Literature.” Hyperhiz: New Media Cultures 17. <http://hyperrhiz.io/hyperrhiz17/>.
- Watson, K. and Salter, A. (2016). "Playing Art Historian: Teaching 20th Century Art through Alternate Reality Gaming." International Journal for the Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning 1.1.
- Salter, A. (2015). "Alice in Dataland 2.0." Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 20(1).
- Salter, A. (2015). "Learning through Making: Notes on Teaching Interactive Narrative." Syllabus Journal, 4.1.
- Forthcoming Salter, A. (2019, in press). “King’s Quest: Narrative” Invited chapter for How to Play Video Games. Edited by Matt Payne and Nina Huntemann, under contract with New York University Press. Page 29-35.
- Forthcoming Salter, A. (2019, in press). “Dead Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo: Supernatural and the Disposable Other.” Death in Supernatural: Critical Essays. Edited by Amanda Taylor and Susan Nylander. McFarland Press. (Peer reviewed)
- Forthcoming Salter, A. and Blodgett B. (2019, in press). “Playing the Humanities: Feminist Game Studies and Public Discourse.” Bodies of Information: Intersectional Feminism and Digital Humanities. Edited by Elizabeth Losh and Jacqueline Wernimont. University of Minnesota Press.
- Blodgett, B. and Salter, A. (2018). “The Doctors Who Waited: The Lonely Woman Scientist Trope in Geek TV.” Women in STEM on Television. Edited by Ashley Carlson. McFarland Press.
- Salter, A. (2018). “Building Interactive Stories.” In The Routledge Companion to Media Studies and Digital Humanities. Edited by Jentery Sayers. Routledge Press.
- Salter, A. (2016). “Comics and Art.” In The Routledge Companion to Comics. Edited by Frank Bramlett, Roy Cook, and Aaron Meskin. Routledge Press, June.
- Salter, A. (2016). “Educational Games.” In Debugging Game History: A Critical Lexicon. Edited by Raiford Guins and Henry Lowood. MIT Press.
Salter, A. (2014). “Writing Under Constraint” and “Mobile Entertainment.” In The Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Humanities. Co-editors: Lori Emerson, Marie-Laure Ryan, Benjamin Robertson. Johns Hopkins University Press.
Salter, A. (2013). “Hacking the Dissertation.” In Hacking the Academy, edited by D. Cohen and T. Scheinfeldt. University of Michigan Press.
Salter, A. (2011). “Closed Minds: Tamora Pierce’s Teenagers and the Problem of Desire.” Supernatural Youth. Ed. J. Battis. Lexington Press.
- Burelle, M.; Kocurek, C.; Perez, A.; Reilly, M.; Salter, A.; Smith, G.; Vadakumchery, T. (2018). “The Spider’s Web: Alternate Reality Game” Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, Issue 13. (Peer-reviewed). <https://adanewmedia.org/2018/05/issue13-kuchera/>
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (2017). “Alt-Right: Ctrl+A; Del.” Journal of Persona Studies 3.1. (Peer Reviewed) < https://ojs.deakin.edu.au/index.php/ps/article/view/656>
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (2017). “This is Fine: #ResistJam and the 2016 Election in Gaming.” In Foundations of Games 2017, Hyannis, MA, August 14-17. ACM.
- Sullivan, A.; Salter, A. (2017). “Towards a Narrative Taxonomy of Physical Games.” In Foundations of Games 2017, Hyannis, MA, August 14-17. ACM.
- Salter, A. (2016) "Playing at empathy: Representing and experiencing emotional growth through Twine games." Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Serious Games and Applications for Health (SeGAH), Orlando, Florida.
- Kourova, A., Salter, A., Pidberejna, I., & McDaniel, R. (2016). “From Orlando to Russia: Cross-cultural communication through gamemaking.” In Proceedings of the 34th Annual International Conference on the Design of Communication. New York: Association for Computing Machinery. Arlington, Virginia.
- Watson, K. and Salter, A. (2016). "Secret Societies of the Avant-garde: Designing a Game for Art History." Games Learning Society 11 Proceedings, ETC Press, 440-443.
UCF Luminary Award, 2017
No courses found for Spring 2019.
|Course Number||Course||Title||Mode||Date and Time||Syllabus|
|92560||DIG3146||Social Platforms||Face to Face Instruction (P)||M 01:30 PM - 04:20 PM||Unavailable|
|No Description Available|
|81366||DIG5487||Principles of Visual Language||Face to Face Instruction (P)||M 06:00 PM - 08:50 PM||Unavailable|
|No Description Available|
|Course Number||Course||Title||Mode||Session||Date and Time||Syllabus|
|50536||DIG3024||Digital Cultures & Narrative||World Wide Web (W)||A||Unavailable|
|No Description Available|
Updated: Dec 6, 2018